This week on the ATP Tour, the world’s greatest goal to deliver their prime grass-court degree to a pair of ATP 250 occasions in Eastbourne and Mallorca.
Dwelling favorite Cameron Norrie headlines the draw on the Rothesay Worldwide in Eastbourne, the place Jannik Sinner, defending champion Alex de Minaur and 2019 titlist Taylor Fritz are additionally chasing success on the English south coast from 20-25 June.
Daniil Medvedev defends his crown on the Mallorca Championships, going down on the Balearic island from 19-25 June. These attempting to cease the World No. 1 in Spain embody Stefanos Tsitsipas, Denis Shapovalov and the in-form Nick Kyrgios.
ATPTour.com seems to be forward at 5 issues to look at at every occasion.
View Attracts: Eastbourne | Mallorca
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH IN EASTBOURNE
1) Norrie & Sinner Headline: Norrie is the highest seed in Eastbourne, the place the World No. 11 seeks to bounce again from an opening-round defeat to Grigor Dimitrov at The Queen’s Membership final week. The British No. 1 reached the quarter-finals in 2018 and arrives in Eastbourne boasting a formidable 26-14 file for 2022, together with two ATP Tour titles.
Sinner is seeded second in his first match since retiring from his Roland Garros quarter-final in opposition to Andrey Rublev attributable to a left knee damage. The Italian is making his Eastbourne debut as he hunts his maiden grass-court crown and his first title in 2022.
2) De Minaur Defends Crown: The Australian picked up his fifth tour-level title in Eastbourne final 12 months by defeating Lorenzo Sonego within the championship match. De Minaur is seeded sixth this time round on the English south coast, as he seeks improved outcomes after only one win throughout two tournaments in ‘s-Hertogenbosch and London.
3) Fritz Heads American Cost: One other former champion, Taylor Fritz, leads a robust squad of Individuals in Eastbourne. The World No. 14 fell on the first hurdle in ‘s-Hertogenbosch and London however the third seed arrives with a 21-10 file for the season as he seeks his second title of 2022 at a match the place he lifted the trophy in 2019.
Fritz is joined within the draw by countrymen Tommy Paul, Frances Tiafoe, Sebastian Korda and Jenson Brooksby, in addition to fifth seed Reilly Opelka, who opens in opposition to one other American in Maxime Cressy.
4) Draper, Evans Lead British Hopes: In addition to Norrie, World No. 31 Daniel Evans and #NextGenATP contender Jack Draper might be amongst these having fun with residence help as they try to grow to be the primary British champion in Eastbourne since Greg Rusedski in 2003.
Evans was a quarter-finalist in 2021, whereas 20-year-old Draper will search to again up his spectacular defeat of Fritz in London final week with a robust displaying on match debut. Wild card Ryan Peniston additionally made headlines at The Queen’s Membership, clinching his maiden tour-level win in opposition to Casper Ruud and in addition defeating Francisco Cerundolo. The 26-year-old will hunt one other upset in Eastbourne as he opens in opposition to eighth seed Holger Rune.
Peniston Opens Up On Most cancers Battle: ‘It Provides Me A Lot Of Energy’
5) Defending Champs Mektic/Pavic: Nikola Mektic and Mate Pavic search to keep up their dominance on the grass courts of Nice Britain as they defend their title in Eastbourne. The Croatian pairing additionally lifted the trophy at Wimbledon final 12 months and are set to play for a 3rd title collectively on the floor on the Cinch Championships on Sunday.
Their rivals in Eastbourne this week embody second seeds and 2019 champions Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah, and Roland Garros finalists Ivan Dodig and Austin Krajicek.
FOLLOW THIS WEEK’S ACTION
📺 TV Schedule
🎾 Watch Reside On Tennis TV
📱 Comply with Reside Scores On ATP WTA Reside
📧 Signal Up For Newsletters
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH IN MALLORCA
1) Medvedev Defends Title: The World No. 1 clinched his maiden grass-court title on match debut in Mallorca final 12 months and he has hit the bottom working on the floor in 2022. Medvedev was a finalist in ‘s-Hertogenbosch every week in the past and made it back-to-back ATP Tour finals this week on the Terra Wortmann Open in Halle, the place he’ll play for his first title of the 12 months in opposition to Hubert Hurkacz on Sunday.
2) Tsitsipas & Shapovalov Debuts: Second seed Stefanos Tsitsipas is 2-2 on grass this 12 months however the Greek appeared to have discovered his ft on the floor in Halle final week, regardless of a slim second-round loss to Nick Kyrgios. The World No. 6 is making his debut in Mallorca, the place he’s chasing his second title of the 12 months.
One other highly effective 23-year-old, Denis Shapovalov, is looking for his first win of the 12 months on grass as he makes his first look in Mallorca. The Canadian will hope to rediscover the shape that took him to his maiden Grand Slam semi-final at Wimbledon in 2021.
3) Kyrgios To Kick On?: Kyrgios has appeared in a assured temper in Germany up to now two weeks, reaching the semi-finals in Stuttgart and Halle. Regardless of slim defeats to Andy Murray and Hubert Hurkacz in these respective final-four clashes, the big-serving Australian might be a significant risk on match debut in Mallorca as he hunts his maiden tour-level crown on grass. High seed Medvedev is a possible quarter-final opponent for the 27-year-old.
4) Spaniards Chase Dwelling Success: Fourth seed Pablo Carreno Busta is the highest-ranked residence hope in Mallorca, the place he’s chasing his first grass-court title. A semi-finalist in 2021, he can flip to countryman Feliciano Lopez for recommendation on learn how to go additional on the floor — the wild card has received 4 of his seven tour-level titles on grass — whereas fifth seed Roberto Bautista Agut additionally has expertise in that division, having lifted the trophy in ‘s-Hertogenbosch in 2014.
5) Arevalo/Rojer High Seeds: Marcelo Arevalo and Jean-Julien Rojer’s eight-match profitable streak was ended within the Halle semi-finals, however the El Salvadorian-Dutch pairing stays one of many kind groups on the ATP Tour, having collected three titles since coming collectively in the beginning of the 12 months. The Roland Garros champions are the highest seeds in Mallorca, the place their highest-ranked rivals are all-German duo Kevin Krawietz and Andreas Mies.
#Cameron #Norrie #Leads #Eastbourne #Area #Daniil #Medvedev #Stefanos #Tsitsipas #Mallorca #Scouting #Report #ATP #Tour