A pair of clay-court occasions simply 112 kilometres aside host the motion this week on the ATP Tour, with Geneva and Lyon the venues for a doubleheader in Western Europe.
World No. 2 Daniil Medvedev performs his first match since March on the Gonet Geneva Open, with Casper Ruud and Dominic Thiem additionally competing in a robust area in Switzerland. Cameron Norrie is the highest seed on the Open Parc Auvergne-Rhone-Alpes Lyon, the place Gael Monfils leads an thrilling group of French gamers in search of residence success.
ATPTour.com appears forward at 5 issues to look at at every occasion.
View Attracts: Geneva | Lyon
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH IN GENEVA
1) Medvedev Returns: World No. 2 Medvedev returns to aggressive motion for the primary time since March after a layoff because of a hernia process. The highest seed makes his debut in Geneva as he chases a primary title of the yr on the ATP 250 occasion, the place he opens in opposition to Richard Gasquet or John Millman. Medvedev is a 13-time tour-level titlist, however arrives in Switzerland nonetheless searching a maiden crown on clay.
2) Ruud Defends Title: Casper Ruud’s European clay-court season sparked into life with a semi-final run in Rome this week, a robust response from the Norwegian after he gained simply 4 matches throughout his 4 earlier tournaments. Regardless of his patchy type, the World No. 10’s pedigree on clay just isn’t doubtful — he’s chasing a seventh tour-level title on the floor in Geneva, the place he’s the defending champion.
3) Thiem Chases Successful Feeling: Former World No. 3 Thiem could also be 0-4 since making his comeback on Tour in April from a wrist damage, however the Austrian has proven indicators of enchancment in each match he has performed. Regardless of defeat in a troublesome opener in opposition to Fabio Fognini in Rome final week, Thiem will really feel able to a deep run on debut in Geneva as he tries to recapture the extent that has earned him 10 tour-level titles on clay and two championship match appearances at Roland Garros.
4) Shapovalov, Opelka Problem: Third seed Denis Shapovalov was again to his thrilling greatest throughout a quarter-final run in Rome, the spotlight of which was a third-round victory over Rafael Nadal. The Canadian will hope to construct on that efficiency as he hunts a second ATP Tour title. He got here near that aim in Geneva final yr, reaching the ultimate on match debut earlier than falling to Ruud.
Reilly Opelka loved a less-successful first look in Geneva in 2021, dropping his first-round match to Pablo Cuevas, however the fourth-seeded American arrives in Switzerland this yr a tour-level clay-court titlist after lifting the trophy in Houston in April. Opelka is 0-3 on the European clay since then, however the American’s enormous serve stays the right weapon to energy him again to type, irrespective of the floor.
5) Mektic/Pavic Lead Doubles Discipline: Nikola Mektic and Mate Pavic are the top-seeds within the doubles draw, with the Croatian pairing making their debut on the Tennis Membership de Geneve. A robust area additionally consists of Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares, the British-Brazilian second seeds searching a primary clay-court title collectively, whereas third seeds Marcelo Arevalo and Jean-Julien Rojer are chasing a 3rd tour-level crown of the yr.
FOLLOW THIS WEEK’S ACTION
📺 TV Schedule
🎾 Watch Dwell On Tennis TV
📱 Observe Dwell Scores On ATP Tour App
📧 Signal Up For Newsletters
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH IN LYON
1) Norrie Prime Seed: World No. 11 Cameron Norrie has a robust file in Lyon. The Briton made the semi-finals on debut in 2018 and went one higher final yr, reaching the championship match on the ATP 250 occasion earlier than falling to Stefanos Tsitsipas. Norrie’s stable early-season type propelled him into the Prime 10 of the Pepperstone ATP Rankings for the primary time on 4 April. Can he bounce again from a second-round defeat to Marin Cilic in Rome with a maiden clay-court title this week?
2) Carreno Busta Menace: One of the crucial constant performers on Tour, World No. 18 Pablo Carreno Busta is seeded second as he prepares for his Lyon debut. The Spaniard will bid to place disappointing early exits on the ATP Masters 1000 occasions in Madrid and Rome behind him with a deep run in Lyon as he chases a primary title since securing his maiden ATP 500 crown on the Hamburg European Open final July.
3) Monfils Leads Residence Hopes: Gael Monfils was resurgent within the early levels of 2022, selecting up an eleventh tour-level title in Adelaide in January earlier than reaching the quarter-finals of the Australian Open. Lyon shall be simply the second occasion of the 35-year-old’s European clay season, nonetheless, and he has gained just one match in two prior appearances on the ATP 250 occasion.
Monfils is an all-court participant able to robust performances on clay, however the 11-time titlist has gained just one title on the crimson dust, again in 2005. Can residence help spur the third seed on to a different this week?
4) Tsonga’s Farewell Tour: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga prepares for the penultimate match of his profession at an occasion the place he was the inaugural winner in 2017. The 18-time tour-level titlist will retire after Roland Garros. The 37-year-old faces Marrakech finalist Alex Molcan within the opening spherical in Lyon, with Tsonga chasing a primary win on Tour since Marseille in March.
Tsonga, Simon & Pouille Headline Roland Garros Wild Playing cards
Ugo Humbert, Benjamin Bonzi, Arthur Rinderknech, Lucas Pouille, Arthur Rinderknech and Adrian Mannarino will even look to channel residence help as they bid to emulate countrymen Tsonga and 2019 champion Benoit Paire in lifting the Lyon trophy.
5) Rune Flying Excessive: The thrilling #NextGenATP Dane Holger Rune returns to aggressive motion for the primary time since clinching his maiden ATP Tour title in Munich two weeks in the past. Rune’s exploits in Germany noticed him leap into the Prime 50 of the Pepperstone ATP Rankings for the primary time however the 19-year-old faces a troublesome opening opponent in Rinderknech, who gained the pair’s solely earlier assembly in Kitzbuhel final yr.
#Daniil #Medvedev #Returns #Geneva #Cameron #Norrie #Heads #Lyon #Discipline #ATP #Tour