The motion on the ATP Tour can be unfold throughout three continents this week, with ATP 250 tournaments happening in Argentina, France and India.
Dominic Thiem and Diego Schwartzman lead the sphere on the Cordoba Open, whereas Alexander Zverev is the highest seed on the Open Sud de France in Montpellier. Aslan Karatsev can be targetting his second tour-level title of the season on the Tata Open Maharashtra in Pune.
ATPTour.com seems forward at 15 issues to look at this week.
View Attracts: Cordoba | Montpellier | Pune
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH IN CORDOBA
1) Schwartzman Prime Seed: Argentine Schwartzman will cleared the path as the highest seed on house soil in Cordoba, the place he reached the ultimate in 2020. The 29-year-old, who defeated Stefanos Tsitsipas on the ATP Cup earlier this month, can be making his fourth look on the ATP 250 occasion and begins towards countryman Federico Coria or a qualifier.
2) Thiem Returns: Dominic Thiem has not competed at a tour-level occasion since Mallorca final June because of a wrist harm he sustained whereas he was in motion on the grass in Spain. The previous World No. 3 will make his return on the Argentine clay as he makes his debut on the Cordoba Open. The second seed, who has received 10 tour-level titles on this floor, will play Argentine wild card Tomas Martin Etcheverry or a qualifier within the second spherical.
3) Clay-Court docket Standouts: With the ATP Tour returning to clay for the primary time this 12 months, there are lots of stars who flourish on the floor relishing the chance. Cristian Garin has received 5 tour-level titles on clay, together with in Cordoba in 2020, whereas Federico Delbonis captured his two trophies at this degree on the floor in Sao Paulo in 2014 and Marrakech in 2016. Spaniard Albert Ramos-Vinolas was a finalist on the occasion final season and has triumphed at three ATP Tour occasions in his profession on clay. All three are within the area this week.
4) Residence Favourites: Alongside Schwartzman and Delbonis, there are six different Argentines in the primary draw on the Cordoba Open (this doesn’t embrace potential qualifiers. Sebastian Baez, Facundo Bagnis, Francisco Cerundolo, Federico Coria, Etcheverry and Juan Ignacio Londero will all be targetting deep runs in entrance of house help. Londero tasted success on the ATP 250 occasion in 2019, capturing his maiden tour-level crown on the match.
5) Sonego To Go Deep? Lorenzo Sonego is the fourth seed in Cordoba and can look to enhance on his 2021 efficiency on the ATP 250 match the place he reached the second spherical. Nonetheless, the Italian, who superior to the third spherical on the Australian Open this month, may face a tough opening take a look at towards #NextGenATP Holger Rune of Denmark in his first match if the 18-year-old can overcome Roberto Carballes Baena.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH IN MONTPELLIER
1) Zverev In Motion: Zverev has fond recollections in Montpellier, having received the title in his final look on the ATP 250 occasion in 2017. The World No. 3 is the highest seed after receiving a wild card and can be aiming to bounce again from the fourth-round defeat he suffered towards Denis Shapovalov on the Australian Open. The German will play 27-year-old Ilya Ivashka or American Mackenzie McDonald in his opening match.
Zverev Accepts Montpellier Wild Card
2) Residence Favorite Monfils: Gael Monfils arrives in Montpellier stuffed with confidence following his robust begin to the season. The Frenchman captured his eleventh tour-level title on the Adelaide Worldwide 1 earlier this month, earlier than he superior to the quarter-finals on the Australian Open.
The 35-year-old has lifted the trophy in Montpellier 3 times (2010, 2014, 2020) and can purpose to take pleasure in one other deep run on house soil because the third seed. He’ll start his marketing campaign towards countryman Corentin Moutet or Swede Mikael Ymer.
3) Can Bautista Agut Go One Step Additional? Second seed Roberto Bautista Agut superior to the ultimate on the ATP 250 indoor-hard occasion final 12 months, advancing to the championship match with out dropping a set. The Spaniard has already earned Prime 20 wins towards Garin, Casper Ruud and Hubert Hurkcaz this 12 months on the ATP Cup and can look to keep up his good type towards Lucas Pouille or a qualifier in his first match.
4) Area Full Of Previous Champions: French pair Richard Gasquet and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga have lifted the trophy in Montpellier 4 instances between them, with Gasquet triumphing in 2013, 2015 and 2016, whereas Tsonga was the victor in 2019. The skilled duo start towards seventh seed Ugo Humbert and a qualifier, respectively.
In the meantime, David Goffin triumphed on the match final 12 months. The eighth seed will play Benjamin Bonzi within the first spherical on Monday.
5) Herbert/Mahut Prime Seeds: Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut, the reigning Nitto ATP Finals champions, will play their first match of the 12 months as a staff in Montpellier. The Frenchmen are the highest seeds. Mahut lifted the Montpellier trophy in 2012 alongside countryman Edouard Roger-Vasselin. Three-time champion Roger-Vasselin and Israeli Jonathan Erlich, the third seeds, face a troublesome opening problem towards Zverev and shut buddy Marcelo Melo.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH IN PUNE
1) Karatsev Leads The Area: Aslan Karatsev will purpose to win his second tour-level title of the season when he competes in Pune for the primary time. The Russian, who triumphed on the Sydney Tennis Basic earlier this month, is the highest seed and can open towards a qualifier within the second spherical.
2) Is Musetti Prepared To Go Deep? #NextGenATP Italian Lorenzo Musetti will look to proceed his good work from final season, the place he rose from outdoors the Prime 100 within the ATP Rankings to a career-high No. 57. He additionally competed within the Intesa Sanpaolo Subsequent Gen ATP Finals in Milan. The 19-year-old is the second seed and begins his match towards Australian Aleksandar Vukic or Frenchman Hugo Grenier.
3) Former Champion Returns: Czech Jiri Vesely clinched his second ATP Tour crown in Pune in 2020, successful three three-set matches en path to the trophy. The fourth seed, who will make his fourth look on the hard-court match, will face Dennis Novak or Bernabe Zapata Miralles in his first match.
4) First-Time Winner? Third seed Gianluca Mager, fifth seed Daniel Altmaier and sixth seed Emil Ruusuvuori will all be aiming to win their first tour-level title this week in India. The trio has captured 11 ATP Challenger Tour trophies between them, however they’ve by no means triumphed at this degree.
Mager opens towards Indian wild card Arjun Kadhe or Portugal’s Joao Sousa, whereas Altmaier performs one other Indian wild card within the type of Prajnesh Gunneswaran. Ruusuvuori kicks off his marketing campaign towards Belarusian Egor Gerasimov.
5) Saville/Smith Prime Seeds In Doubles: Luke Saville and John-Patrick Smith are the highest seeds within the doubles draw and are teaming for the third time this season. The Australians will face stiff competitors from second seeds Rohan Bopanna and Ramkumar Ramanathan and third seeds Szymon Walkow and Jan Zielinski. Marc Polmans and Matt Reid are the fourth seeds, with singles stars Musetti (w/Gaio) and Vesely (w/Erler) amongst these additionally in doubles motion.
#Scouting #Report #Thiem #Returns #Cordoba #Zverev #Karatsev #Headline #Fields #Montpellier #Pune #ATP #Tour